There is no doubt that 2016 has been one of the most critical years in the history of Pakistan and also the world. We not only survived through the worst of weathers but also lost renowned personalities and role models, who were an inspiration in our lives. However, with all the sorrows were moments that united the nation back together with smiles on our faces. Here are a few moments that are to be cherished, as moments of pride never die:
- Sharmeen Obaid won the 2nd Oscar for her documentary, A Girl in the River, which sheds light on honour killing in Pakistan.
- Students from Islamabad won “World Schools Debating Championships.”
- Youngest entrepreneur – Zymal Umer: A lovely talented star having fruitful ideas in her mind when she was just 6 year old.
- A proud moment for Pakistan, as 14-year old Muhammed Shahzad entered in Google’s Hall of Fame.
- Hamid Mir won the most resilient Journalist Award.
- First season and exceptional launch of Pakistan Super League T20, 2016.
- Pakistani designer Amara got the “Talented Young International Designer” Award.
- Pakistani startup ‘WonderTree’ bagged third prize at a startup competition in the US, at the Global Innovation through Science and Technology initiative.
- Being recognized on an international level; Ali Zafar, Atif Aslam, Hadiqa Kiani, Farhan Saeed, and Amanat Ali were nominated in the Big Apple Music Awards (BAMA).
- Two exceptional youngsters; Muhammad Usman Khan and Zainab Bibi were honored with the ‘Queen’s Young Leaders Award 2016’, from Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II.
- Ghulam Mohammad made Pakistan proud by winning ‘Jameel Art Prize’ in the UK, an award for modern art and design inspired by Islamic traditions.
- Nighat is a Pakistan’ digital rights activist, who received the prestigious Atlantic Council Digital Freedom Award.
- Pakistanis out-shined others by winning the best ‘International Booth Award for Pakistan’, at the Technical University Munich, Germany.
These are just a few moments that brought a life among us all at times when we needed them the most, but they are not all. There are many more reasons to love life and be proud of Pakistan, as we are the best among the best.